Whether you like creating art with a real pencil or a digital one, there’s no doubt there are a lot of art apps out there to choose from when it comes to doodling on iOS devices – no mess required. Let’s take a look at Layers for iPhone.
As the name suggests, layers allows you to create multi-layered artwork (if you deal with digital photo editing or art, you know what that means). Create til your hearts content, then export it for the world to see.
What I like:
- Tutorial at the beginning (tutorials are really helpful if you’re gonna get the most out of any art app)
- Choose your canvas size
- Utilizes controls we are familiar with (pinch with two fingers to zoom out, double tap to zoom, etc)
- Undo arrow (love that thing) and a redo arrow
- Ability to import pictures to doodle on or enhance
- Adjust brushes offset
- Pile on the layers!
- Download a buddy program from www.layersforiphone.com/viewer
- Great export options for finished drawings:
- Email flattened JPEG
- Email layered PSD
- Send to camera roll
- Save as duplicate
|Notice the three layers here.|
|Lots of great brush options.|
|Custom color palette.|
|Library of drawings.|
|Choose the transparency and thickness of your brushes.|
If you’re just a doodler, or a seasoned artist, this app could be very helpful for you. It’s similar to SketchBook, but offers it’s own unique options. I really really love that you can bring in actual photos (or anything else that is not a video that is saved to your camera roll).
Overal, I give Layers 4 out of 5 stars (5 stars when the price comes down a little bit). If you like more space to draw, Layers for the iPad is even better! Great app at a great price. $4.99 in the app store – check it out:
Or pick up the iPad Pro edition here: