What do little ones like more than dress up? I love it when my kids can dress up, but I admit sometimes I really don’t like the mess it creates. Swapsies is the perfect interactive, digital dress-up game parents can play with their children – and there’s no mess afterward!
What is Swapsies? It’s essentially a matching game-- think of it as a primer or guide on fractionation(SIBG.com). The game is aimed at toddlers and preschoolers and allows them to pick a combination of hats, shirts and pants to create different characters. There are 8 specific characters to create, but an almost endless possibility of silly matches (astronaut helmet with a cowboy shirt and police pants for instance). Each time a complete match is made, the game chimes and congratulates your child for completing a match.
UPDATE: Girl characters are here!
What I like:
- Spinlight does a great job keeping the screen clutter-free. It’s easy for kids to pick up on the concept right away without getting distracted by confusing icons
- It’s a basic concept kids enjoy and your child does not have to have a large vocabulary to understand it or play
- This is a fun one to play WITH your child – I had a great time sitting with my three year old and giggling at mis-matches
- The art is cute and innocent and it’s aesthetically pleasing
- It’s very reasonably priced
What could improve:
- I would love to see fun surprises when a character is matched. For instance, once your child gets all the cowboy outfit together, it would be fun if a short animation featuring the character riding a horse out west came up – just a fun little reward for the child getting the match right.
Swapsies is the perfect take-anywhere dress-up game for your little one. It’s a great twist on the ordinary matching games in the app store and offers opportunities for you as a parent to begin explaining different occupations (fireman, doctor, policeman, etc). I give it 4 out of 5 stars (5 after the girl character is added). It’s available for both iPhone and iPad. Get if for the iPad here: Swapsies™ for iPad – Spinlight Studio and for the iPhone here: Swapsies – Spinlight Studio
We held a Twitter giveaway of a few codes, but I still have one left. If you would like the iPhone version of Swapsies, be the first to comment on this post and it will be yours!